Here’s a list of sayings popularized by—and, as best I as can tell, originating with—Merlin Mann that have been popping up on other podcasts I listen to. Most of these are from Back to Work, the podcast he co-hosts with Dan Benjamin on the mighty 5by5, but some may also have begun on his “other podcast” Roderick on the Line, a show he co-hosts with John Roderick. There are way more of these than I thought at first. I’m seriously thinking of starting a new Tumblr dedicated to them.
- "Is this the show?"
- "Is this what people tune in for?"
- "Where can someone find the show notes for this episode?"
- "Do you want to tell me about something you like?"
- "Wanna button this up?"
- "Oh, look at me…"
- In his Karl Van Hœt voice: “Erm. So.”
- "Turns out."
- "It’s your show."
- "Big week?"
- Referring to the chat room members as Jackals.
- "We’ll cut this out."
- "We’ll fix this in post." 2
- "Like a gentleman."
- "Sportsball." Seriously, it’s a thing. Literally.
- "That’s fine for Merlin." 1
- "Don’t be creepy."
Are there any Merlin fanatics out there that can think of any others?
- Ding! The bell. How could I have forgotten the bell?!
- "So angry."
- "Mmmmm." 3